college policies

Transfer Credit

Transfer Credit

The following are the academic guidelines related to the transfer of courses/credits to Macomb Community College submitted as a joint guideline proposal from The Learning Unit and Student Services.

Only those credits earned at colleges and universities accredited by one of the regional accrediting agencies will be considered for transfer. Regional accreditation does not automatically result in transferability of coursework. When the coursework has been completed at a college or university outside the United States, the college or university must be an officially recognized tertiary institution through:

Final recognition and posting of transfer courses on the student’s academic record at Macomb Community College will follow receipt of an “official” transcript of course work sent from the previous institution (s) and the applicant’s admission to Macomb Community College.

Students who are seeking transfer credit must request that colleges/universities mail an “official” transcript to the Records and Registration Office, G-110, Center Campus or G-224, South Campus.

If there is a direct course equivalency, Macomb Community College will accept transfer credit for coursework satisfactorily completed at an accredited college or university (with a grade of A, A-, B+, B, B-, C+ or C) or an equivalent 2.0 or higher based on a 4.0 scale. Grades earned at another college or university will not replace grades earned at Macomb Community College.

When Enrollment Services is unable to determine a direct course equivalency, they will accept the transfer credit for coursework as discipline or general elective credit satisfactorily completed at an accredited college or university (with a grade of A, A-, B+, B, B-, C+ or C) or an equivalent 2.0 or higher based on a 4.0 scale. If a student pursues and challenges the awarding of transfer credit, the student may complete the Request for Re-Evaluation of Transfer Course form and submit it to the associate dean of the discipline to determine if there is an appropriate equivalency with a course being offered at Macomb Community College. After the associate dean has determined the appropriate equivalency, they will complete the “For Office Use Only” section of the Request for Re-Evaluation of Transfer Course form. Grades earned at another college or university will not replace grades earned at Macomb Community College.

However, a course taken at another institution may fulfill a program or degree requirement if there is an established Macomb course equivalency on the student’s “official” record. It should be noted that under the General Requirements for Degrees at Macomb Community College, a student is required to complete a minimum of 15 semester hours at Macomb Community College and all other degree/program requirements.

If transfer students have previously earned a bachelor's degree from another accredited college or university, general education requirements are noted as having been met for an Associate of Arts, Associate of Applied Science or an Associate of Business Administration. Transfer students having previously earned an associate's degree from another accredited college or university that includes arts and sciences group concentrations will have met the general education requirements for an Associate of Applied Science or an Associate of Business Administration.

Other Forms of Transfer Credit:

  • American Council on Education (ACE): The above rules apply. Educational credit may be granted for extra-institutional learning and training programs through participating organizations, associations, businesses, government, industry, military, or union affiliations. Students who successfully complete a training course and are interested in establishing a record of their non-traditional educational accomplishments must submit the required forms, signed by the participating organization’s designated education representative, to the ACE Registry with the appropriate processing fee that is a one-time fee for establishing and updating the student’s record. For more information or to determine if your organization is a participating member, contact the Center for Adult Learning and Educational Credentials/Registry Office at 202.939.9434. Upon receipt of an official ACE transcript, Macomb Community College will award credit based on ACE recommendations. To obtain an official transcript, students must write to:

    • Center for Adult Learning & Educational Credentials
      American Council on Education
      ATTN: Registries
      One DuPont Circle, Suite 250
      Washington DC 20036-1193
  • Advanced Placement/CLEP/DANTES/International Baccalaureate (IB) Transfer Credit:  Students who have earned Advanced Placement, CLEP/DANTES or International Baccalaureate credit from their previous accredited college or university must submit a copy of their official test to the Director of Enrollment Services/Registrar to be considered for transfer to Macomb College. Scores must meet Macomb Community College standards.
  • Automotive Service Excellence (ASE): The American Council on Education’s (ACE) Commission on Educational Credit and Credentials has recommended that credit be granted to those technicians who have passed ASE certification tests and have the required work experience. For more information visit
  • Credit by Examination/Credit for Prior Learning: Credit may be granted to a student who demonstrates by examination and /or prior learning that they are proficient in a subject. The examinations used shall be appropriate standardized commercial examinations or standardized college-prepared examinations.
  • Foreign Transcripts: The above rules apply. Students are required to provide an official transcript along with a certified English translation of the transcript to one of the following accredited educational services:

Macomb Community College requires that a certified course-to-course evaluation from one of the above services and a copy of the original document be submitted to the Director of Enrollment Services/Registrar for consideration of transferable credit.  However, if one of the above sections applies to Programs that must meet certain accreditation or approval guidelines, then the Director of Enrollment Services/Registrar must forward the documentation to the associate dean for consideration of the transferable credit.  After the associate dean of the department reviews the documentation, they will determine the appropriate equivalency.

  • Military Credit: Students must submit the DD-214, member page 4, from the applicable branch of service directly to the Registrar. Students who complete basic military training may be granted up to a maximum of five credit hours in physical education, depending on branch of service.

Macomb Community College’s guidelines and procedures for awarding transfer credit for extra-institutional learning as well as credits from other colleges and universities are subject to periodic reevaluation.

Approved by the Provost
October 2006
Revised May 2019