Skip to main content

Change of Status Request

College employees are not qualified or permitted by law to provide advice with respect to any legal matter including immigration and naturalization procedure. Please consult your attorney.

If you decide to apply to Macomb Community College and want to change your current visa status to an F1 visa, it is recommended you complete the paperwork at least 60 days before your current visa expires.

You should also file for an extension of your current visa if it will expire within 30 days before you wish to start classes. If you are changing from a B1/B2 visa you must file for an extension at the same time you are submitting paperwork to Macomb Community College for change of status. If these "bridge" extensions are not on record with USCIS as having been filed, the paperwork Macomb sends to USCIS will not be accepted. Macomb does not handle bridge applications. You can either go to the USCIS web site and fill out the I-539 extension form and follow the filing instructions, or contact a licensed Immigration attorney (recommended). Macomb is not responsible for any decisions made by USCIS regarding a bridge application.

You must first meet our English language proficiency requirements for F-1 students. If you reside in the area, please make an appointment to see an international student representative and take our Placement test, by emailing

If you reside out-of-state when applying for admission you must:

  • Have recent TOEFL, IELTS OR ACCUPLACER test results sent to us from the testing agency (Must be within last 9 months)
  • Or have transcripts from a U.S. college sent to us showing you have completed freshman English
  • Contact an International Student representative by emailing

Once we know you have met our English language admission requirements, complete and mail in the rest of the required documentation. (Please see the change of status checklist for forms)

You may either email all the documents to or mail them to:

International Student Services
Records and Registration Office 
Macomb Community College
14500 E. Twelve Mile Road
Warren, MI 48088-3896

It is recommended that you make and maintain copies of all documents submitted to the college.

After you have submitted the required paperwork to Macomb College, we will review the forms and if everything is complete, we will issue your I-20 and mail it to USCIS along with the other required documents for the Change of Status process.

After the school mails the paperwork, USCIS (United States Customs and Immigration Service), will deal directly with the student. You will be notified if you have been approved or if additional information is required. The school will not be involved at this point so all your questions regarding your case must be directed to USCIS.

While you are waiting for approval from USCIS, you may register for classes by completing the online orientation and course planning with an Academic Counselor. However, if you are changing from a B visitor visa, you must wait to register until your change of status petition has been approved by USCIS.

Visa Waiver Program

If you are from a country that participates in the Visa Waiver program and are here on the Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA), or have a WT/WB passport stamp, you cannot change your visa to F1 while you are in the U.S. You must return to your home country and apply for a student visa from there.

If you are applying from your home country plan at least six months to complete all requirements including the application for passport and visa, secure inoculation and vaccination and travel reservations.

If you have any questions regarding the application process or would like to make an appointment, please contact an International Student Representative at


The Enrollment Office staff are not USCIS employees. Any questions, other than information pertaining to F-1 status, must be directed to USCIS.