Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I comply with F-1 regulations and inform you that I’ve changed my Address/Phone Number/Email?

You must fill out a Student Update Form and return to an international student representative by email, fax or in person. You must do this within 10 days of any changes.

What if I become a permanent resident?

If you change your status to something other than F-1, you must notify us and supply documentation (Example: A permanent resident card or status change approval letter).  

Can I get a driver's license?

F-1 student must bring the following items to the Secretary of State office in order to obtain a driver’s license or Michigan State ID:

  1. Letter of ineligibility from your nearest Social Security Administration office
  2. Proof of legal presence in the U.S.,  including your passport with I-94 Card and I-20
  3. Two documents with your name and Michigan address on them (to prove your Michigan Residency), such as a utility bill, bank statement, college or high school transcripts, or apartment lease agreement.

For more information on how to obtain a Michigan driver’s license or State ID, please visit the Secretary of State website.

Can I travel?

F1 visa students traveling outside of the United States must have their I-20 endorsed by Macomb Community College's Office of International Student Services located at the South Campus in G224 prior to leaving. Travel is not permitted during the winter or fall semesters and is discouraged during the semesters break. If a student travels without authorization, they are at risk of not being allowed to reenter the USA.

If you do travel, it is your responsibility to travel at appropriate times, so as not to disrupt the semester, and with all the proper travel documents:

  1. Valid Passport
  2. Current I-20 endorsed by your international student representative
  3. I-94 (your downloaded arrival/departure record)
  4. F-1 visa
  5. Sometimes, if necessary, evidence of financial support.

You should keep photocopies of all these documents in a safe place in case the originals get lost.

U.S. Travel Policy/Vaccine Mandate for foreign nationals 

The CDC has announced a procedure implementing the White House’s recent requirement for full vaccination of Foreign Nationals.

  • All noncitizens, nonimmigrants have to be vaccinated against COVID19 before boarding a flight to the United States from a foreign country. For more information, please visit this website. Make sure that you have your vaccination card with you as proof in order to board at flight to the United States.
  • Information regarding policies for those students crossing into the United States via a land border please review the information found on this website.
  • Due to the changing array of travel restrictions, students should refer to their local embassy’s website through the U.S. Department of State for any updates about visa issuance. Also, DHS and the Center for Disease Control and Prevention’s (CDC) websites provide information about current travel restrictions to the United States.

How do I get a Social Security Number?

A Social Security Number (SSN) is used to report your wages to the U.S. Government and to determine eligibility for Social Security benefits. Social Security numbers can be assigned to foreign workers who are authorized to work in the United States.

Social Security numbers are NOT required for the following situations:

  • Admissions and Registration - It is not necessary to have a Social Security number in order to apply for admission to the college or to register for classes.
  • You do not need a Social Security number to open a bank account or for most other financial transactions. If you are an F-1 visa holder, the bank may ask you to prove that you are exempt from the requirement of providing a Social Security number. If this is the case, the Social Security Administration can issue a letter of ineligibility to you.
  • You do not need a Social Security number in order to obtain a driver's license in the state of Michigan. You may need to present a letter of ineligibility from the Social Security office.

F-1 visa holders are only eligible for Social Security numbers if they have been approved in the following situations:

  • On campus employment
  • Curricular Practical Training (CPT) with CPT endorsement on page 3 of your I-20 (only offered at Macomb under certain circumstances and for a limited duration)
  • Optional Practical Training (OPT) with an Employment Authorization card (EAD). OPT is available only after graduation.
  • You were issued an EAD card for other reasons, such as authorization due to severe economic hardship.

Am I eligible for financial aid?

F-1 international students are not eligible for U.S. Federal Financial Aid.

How can I get a scholarship?

Macomb’s online automated scholarship information system, OASIS, can help you get started with receiving scholarships specifically for Macomb Students. 

For information on student scholarship availability nationwide, you can visit the FASTWEB site and see if any scholarships are applicable to you.

Should I get health insurance?

It is not a requirement for admission to Macomb Community College, but it is highly recommended that you obtain medical insurance (not available at Macomb Community College). You may explore insurance options on the list below of the National Association of Foreign Student Advisors (NAFSA) Global Partners in Health.

These are only suggestions to get you started on your search.

NAFSA Global Partners

Compass Benefits Group

Cultural Insurance Services International (CISI)

UHC SafeTrip

Gateway WorldMed

HTH Worldwide Insurance Services

iNext Insurance

International SOS Assistance

The Harbour Group, LLC

The Lewer Insurance Agency, Inc.

PGH Global Insurance


UnitedHealthcare StudentResources

Source: NAFSA: Association of International Educators

Macomb Community College does not endorse any specific insurance company or agency.  These are only suggestions to get your started on your search.

What is the weather like?

The climate in Michigan varies. Temperatures range from 37.8 degrees centigrade in the summer to -17.8 degrees centigrade in the winter. You should bring all types of clothing, including a warm coat for the winter months, rainwear for the spring, and light clothing for the hot summer months.

Do you have student housing or transportation?

No, Macomb does not provide dormitories, residence halls, on-campus housing or housing aid. You are responsible for securing your own housing in the community.

Macomb does not provide any means of transportation. You are responsible for your own transportation to and from campus.

I forgot my User ID or My Macomb Password, what do I do?

If you forgot your My Macomb User ID, click on “What’s my User ID” and enter your last name and SEVIS ID.

If you forgot your My Macomb password, click on “What’s my Password” and enter your last name, Macomb ID and answer your security questions.

Contact the Records and Registration Office at or 586.445.7999 if you still cannot access My Macomb.

How do I get into CANVAS?

CANVAS is accessed by logging into My Macomb and selecting the link under applications. The first time you use CANVAS, you will need to complete the orientation. If you have technical issues, please contact CANVAS support at or 1.877.362.2662.

I need help looking for classes.

Please contact Counseling and Academic Advising Services for help in finding classes. F1 visa students should ask for Special Services—586.445.7420.

How many English for Academic Purposes (EAPP) classes am I allowed to take?

Since Macomb Community College is not certified as an English language institute, very few EAPP classes are allowed. We require a certain level of proficiency to be accepted for admission, and that level should indicate that you are capable of taking regular classes and making academic progress towards your degree. In certain circumstances, the manager of the International Student Services office, on the recommendation of a Special Services counselor, may authorize you to take additional EAPP classes.

The general rule is as follows:

Allowable EAPP classes for F-1 students to count towards their full-time status.

IF YOU PLACED INTO: 1st Semester Allowed: 2nd Semester Allowed: 3rd Semester Allowed:
EAPP 1300 EAPP 1300 + 1 more EAPP EAPP 1400 EAPP 1500
EAPP 1400 EAPP 1400 EAPP 1500
EAPP 1500 EAPP 1500


For More Information

Macomb Community College, South Campus
Office of International Student Services G224
14500 E. 12 Mile Rd.
Warren, MI 48088-3896

Phone: 586.445.7999
Fax: 586.445.7140