Traveling Over School Breaks

Traveling Over School Breaks

Traveling Over School Breaks

If you decide to travel during school breaks or over the summer, you must first inform your International Student Representative at Macomb. It is very important that your International Student Representative endorses your I-20 for travel before you leave the country.

Although unlikely, it is never guaranteed that U.S. Customs and Border agents will allow you to reenter the country. Traveling with the proper documents is the only way to avoid any problems at the border. If you have applied for a change of status, we advise that you not travel until your change is approved.

If you have questions regarding your visa or reentry to the U.S. while you are traveling, please visit Homeland Security’s Study in the States page.

U.S. Travel Policy/Vaccine Mandate for foreign nationals

The CDC has announced a procedure implementing the White House’s recent requirement for full vaccination of Foreign Nationals.

  • All noncitizens, nonimmigrants have to be vaccinated against COVID19 before boarding a flight to the United States from a foreign country. For more information, please visit this website. Make sure that you have your vaccination card with you as proof in order to board at flight to the United States.
  • Information regarding policies for those students crossing into the United States via a land border please review the information found on this website.
  • Due to the changing array of travel restrictions, students should refer to their local embassy’s website through the U.S. Department of State for any updates about visa issuance. Also, DHS and the Center for Disease Control and Prevention’s (CDC) websites provide information about current travel restrictions to the United States.

Before you travel, ask yourself the following questions about your documents:

Signed I-20:

  • Do I have my most recent Macomb I-20, endorsed and dated?

Make an appointment with an International Student Representative to have your I-20 endorsed for travel. 

I-901 SEVIS Fee Receipt:

  • Do I have a copy of my I-901 SEVIS fee receipt?

Visa & Passport:

  • Does my visa reflect my current school and status?

Bring supporting documents to prove your status and current school. For example: I-797 approval or SEVIS receipt, Macomb admission/transfer letter, I-20 from school listed on visa.

  • Is my passport within six months of expiring or expired?

Have your passport renewed at the closest embassy before you leave or renew while you are back in your home country.  Your passport must be valid for reentry.

Financial Support and Paid Tuition Statements:

  • Bring a copy of your paid tuition and/or registration statement for the next semester.

Take these documents with you on your carry-on, but do not show the U.S. Customs and Border agents any papers unless they ask for something specific. Always remain calm and answer only what is asked of you. Ask for clarification if you do not understand a question. Failure to have all the required documents and follow proper border protocol could jeopardize your reentry into the U.S. Remember to download a new I-94 card 10-14 business days after your return to the United States.

If you travel during a holiday season, please be prepared for delays at U.S. Customs.