Skip to main content

Veteran & Military Education Benefits

The Office of Veteran & Military Services (VMS) wants to make sure you have the assistance and support you need to use the educational benefits you have earned. If your questions are not answered here, please contact us at

Applying to use your GI Bill benefits for the first time?

  1. Complete VA's Form: Application for Benefits ( - 22-1990 or 28-1900.
    • Tip: Complete your application six weeks prior to registration for classes.
  2. Provide VMS with copies of your eligibility paperwork when you receive it (Certificate of Eligibility or Notice of Basic Eligibility).
    • Request all previous higher learning institutions transcripts be sent to:

      Macomb Community College
      Records and Registration, G-224
      14500 E. 12 Mile Road
      Warren, MI 48088-3896

    • A Joint Services Transcript (JST) can be obtained at
  3. Contact Counseling and Academic Advising Services about obtaining a signed program plan of your academic program and submit it to the Office of Veteran & Military Services.
  4. Register for classes that are required in your program.
  5. Submit Macomb’s Request for GI Bill Certification form and your signed program plan. We can contact you and walk you through any remaining steps.

Using Military Tuition Assistance?

Active duty service members, National Guard members, reservists, and some spouses or civilians can be eligible for Military Tuition Assistance at Macomb. TA is a program that must be applied for through your branch and can cover tuition costs up to $250 per credit. Application/approval processes as well as credit hour and cost caps vary by branch.