veteran and military services

Veteran & Military Education Benefits

Veteran & Military Education Benefits

The Office of Veteran & Military Services (VMS) wants to make sure you have the assistance and support you need to use the education benefits you and/or your family have earned. After you apply to Macomb, you must also apply for your GI Bill® Education Benefits if you have not yet done so – directions can be found below.  If you have any questions, please contact us at

Apply to Macomb:

Applying to use your GI Bill® benefits for the first time?

  1. Complete VA’s form: Application for Benefits - 22-1990 or 28-1900.
    • Go to Scroll down and click on “How do I apply?” green tab, answer the questions and click “Apply now”.


      Applications take up to 6 weeks to process. Plan accordingly.

      On the application, when unsure what a phrase means (i.e. National Call to Service), assume the answer is no.

  2. Provide VMS with copies of your eligibility paperwork when you receive it (Certificate of Eligibility or Notice of Basic Eligibility).
    • Request all previous higher learning institutions transcripts and your military transcript (Joint Services Transcript) be sent to the address below.

      (Please note transcript submisson is not required, and in some situations, can adversely impact financial aid eligibility):

      Macomb Community College
      Records and Registration, G-224
      14500 E. 12 Mile Road
      Warren, MI 48088-3896

  3. Make sure the program you are following is a VA Approved Program
  4. Register for classes that are required in your VA Approved Program
  5. Submit Macomb’s Request for GI Bill® Certification form. We can contact you and walk you through any remaining steps.

Using Military Tuition Assistance?

Service members and some spouses or civilians can be eligible for Military Tuition Assistance (TA) at Macomb. TA is a program that must be applied for through your branch and can cover tuition costs up to $250 per credit hour. Application/approval processes as well as credit hour and cost caps vary by branch.

For more information, contact the Veteran & Military Services office.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at