Skip to main content

GI Bill Eligibility

To translate your military service into benefits, use the guidelines listed below. However, realize they are just that - guidelines. You should contact the VA through the GI Bill® hotline (888.442.4551) or on their website to confirm which benefits you officially qualify for.

  • Chapter 30: Montgomery GI Bill®: If you entered active duty on or after July 1, 1985, and made monthly contributions while on active duty.
  • Chapter 33: The Post-9/11 GI Bill®: If you served on active duty after September 10, 2001. This benefit can be transferred to eligible dependents while you are active. You could also be eligible for Chapter 30: Montgomery GI Bill®.
  • Chapter 1606: Montgomery GI Bill® – Selected Reserve: If you served or are currently serving as a reservist on active duty and you make/made contributions to your GI Bill®.
  • Chapter 1607: Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP): If you are a reservist called to active duty for war or national emergencyThis benefit was ended in November 2015. If you are currently using this benefit, you remain eligible through November 25, 2019. If you qualify here you could also be eligible for Chapter 1606, 30, or 33.
  • Chapter 35: Survivors and Dependents Educational Assistance Program: If you are the surviving spouse or dependent of a veteran.  You could also be eligible for Chapter 33, if the veteran meets the requirements and transferred his/her benefits to you.
  • Chapter 31: Vocational Rehabilitation: If you have a service-related disability rating of 10% or higher.  If you qualify here you could also be eligible for any benefit listed above depending on your service record.  If eligible, you should be able to use more than one benefit – just not at the same time.
  • Military Tuition Assistance: If you are currently active duty, or a mobilized reservist. While you could be eligible for a GI Bill® benefit, you may be able to use your Tuition Assistance and save your GI Bill® for later. Contact your CO or ESO in your branch for details on application processes.
  • Michigan National Guard State Tuition Assistance Program: If you are currently serving in the Michigan National Guard.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official government website.