blog student stories

Campus Blog

June

Jill Moffatt

Tuesday, June 21, 2022 11:00 AM

Jill Moffatt
Jill Moffatt
Jill Moffatt’s last job was registering patients at the front desk of a medical practice. After completing Macomb’s six-month Certified Professional Coder program, she’s now accompanying physicians into the examining rooms with laptop in tow.

“I am responsible for all the medical documentation about a patient’s visit,” explains Moffatt of her role as a medical scribe. “I save the doctors a lot of time, so they can spend more time with patients.”

Before the introduction of electronic health records, doctors routinely communicated symptoms, diagnosis, treatment, medications and follow up to office staff in written notes. But with the time and technical expertise required to electronically chart a patient’s information after each exam, many are now gladly turning over those duties to medical scribes.

Now it clicks

“Coding makes more sense now that I’m doing this,” says Moffatt. “It all clicks, and what I learned in the program really helps me in this job.”

Moffatt credits Macomb’s Career Services for helping her find the position that she now holds with Silver Pines Medical Group. It has multiple locations in Macomb County, but she works in the office closest to her home in New Baltimore, which she shares with her significant other and their combined four children, ages 6-17.

“I spend much of my spare time at the soccer fields watching my daughter play,” relates Moffatt, “and working out and working around our home.”

With her busy life, Moffatt appreciated that Macomb’s Certified Professional Coder program was offered entirely online.

“That really helped with my work schedule at a doctor’s office,” says Moffatt, “and my kids’ schedules.”

A credential and college credit

Moffatt graduated from Anchor Bay High School in 1997 and took Microsoft Word and Excel courses at Macomb before deciding upon the Certified Professional Coder program.

“Both of my sisters are coders in medical offices,” says Moffatt. “It sounded like an interesting job.”

Although she is happy with her role as a medical scribe, she intends to take the American Academy of Professional Coders’ Certified Professional Coder (CPC) exam in the near future to expand her career and educational opportunities. In fact, once she receives her CPC credential, Macomb will award her seven college credits in prior learning experience that she can apply to most any of its academic programs.

“I never expected this position to fall into my life,” says Moffatt. “I’m working in the back of the office now, scribing for the doctors, and Macomb helped me get here.”