History & Overview
Needs-Driven and Nationally Prominent
Macomb began offering courses in 1954 in response to the community’s need for advanced educational opportunities. Eighty four students attended rented classrooms in Lincoln High School and the curriculum was developed with help from the University of Michigan and Michigan State and Wayne State universities. By 1962, enrollment reached more than 3,000 and voters approved the forming of the Community College District of the County of Macomb and a one-mill property tax to support its operation.
Since then, the College has kept pace with the community’s growing needs, gaining national prominence for its comprehensiveness and innovation. It has been a stop on the campaign trail of most every presidential candidate for nearly three decades and a frequent launch site for state initiatives. Fully accredited by the Higher Learning Commission, Macomb is governed by an elected board of trustees.
- South Campus - 1965
- Center Campus - 1968
- Macomb Center for the Performing Arts - 1982
- University Center - 1991
- East Campus - 1997
- Michigan Technical Education Center - 2002
- Lorenzo Cultural Center - 2006