The Michigan Superintendent of Public Instruction approved the establishment of South Macomb Community College as an extension of the traditional K-12 system in the Van Dyke Public School District on May 22, 1953. Through assistance from faculty and administrators at the University of Michigan, Michigan State University, and Wayne State University, curriculum and a catalog were developed.
Classes officially began at South Macomb Community College on September 16, 1954 with 84 students in Lincoln High School. On August 7, 1962, Macomb County voters approved the creation of the Community College District of the County of Macomb and authorized a one-mil property tax to support its operation. Commonly known as Macomb County Community College (MCCC), the institution took form and began offering classes under the governance of its own elected Board of Trustees. Land was subsequently purchased in Warren and Clinton Township for two campus sites.
Macomb Community College has developed into a nationally prominent institution. With a staff of more than 1,800, an operating budget over $120 million, three campuses encompassing 40 buildings with over 1.5 million square feet, situated on over 400 acres and providing learning experiences to more than 59,000 students annually, Macomb Community College is the largest grantor of associate's degrees in the State of Michigan and consistently ranks in the top 2% nationally. Fully accredited by the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools since 1970 with locations throughout the county, Macomb Community College meets the needs of the community it serves by adhering to the vision and mission approved by the Board of Trustees.