Discover and connect at Macomb Community College IT careers event
– Wednesday, April 23, 2014 12:00AM
Learn how you can train for information technology jobs with starting salaries as high as $50,000 per year
Metro Detroit is one of the hottest information technology (IT) job markets in the country. If you are a creative problem solver with a lot of curiosity, that’s good news for you. On May 8, Macomb Community College and Walsh College will present a free event for people interested in getting on the fast track to a career in information technology.
Careers in IT: A Night to Discover and Connect will take place May 8, from 6 - 8 p.m. at the Macomb Community College University Center, Center Campus, 44575 Garfield Road, Clinton Township. Online registration at www.macomb.edu/itnight is required.
At the event, attendees will learn how to earn an associate degree in IT from Macomb and transfer to Walsh College to finish a bachelor’s degree, saving thousands in tuition. They also will hear about the hottest IT careers in the region and connect with industry experts, current IT students and faculty.
The keynote speaker will be technology journalist Matt Roush, formerly editor of WWJ Newsradio 950’s “Technology Report with Matt Roush,” and now director of communications and public relations at the Engineering Society of Detroit. Other speakers will include:
- Suzanne Chartier, vice president and director of engineering services at eyeWyre Software Studios, a Mt. Clemens-based software development firm that focuses on mobile application development, as well as web, desktop and cloud solutions. Chartier also is CEO and co-founder at Iconia LLC, a digital content platform for mobile devices.
- Brett A. Hansen, a student with a bachelor’s degree in computer science who is working on a master’s degree in information assurance at Walsh College. As an IT professional for more than 10 years, he manages a team that oversees 2,000-plus Windows 7 systems that operate as self-checkout kiosks around the country.
- Jane Harper, information security compliance assessment and advisory services leader at Health Alliance Plan.
- Shawn Penrice, a select account manager at Cisco Systems with eight years of sales experience in the consulting and IT industries. He is responsible for developing and delivering the Cisco IT strategy to a diverse set of accounts in metro-Detroit.
About Walsh College
Founded in 1922, Walsh College is a private, not-for-profit institution offering upper-division undergraduate and graduate business and technology degrees and certificate programs. One of Southeast Michigan’s largest business schools, Walsh has locations in Troy, Novi, Clinton Township and Port Huron, as well as online. Walsh’s business services division offers the Walsh Institute, which provides solutions for businesses through training, continuing education and consulting.
About Macomb Community College
Macomb Community College (www.macomb.edu) is one of the nation’s leading community colleges, providing learning experiences to nearly 48,000 students annually. Macomb nationally ranks in the top two percent in the number of associate degrees awarded by community colleges and as the largest grantor of associate degrees in Michigan. The college’s comprehensive educational programming includes pre-collegiate experiences, university transfer and career preparation programs, bachelor degree completion and graduate degree programs, workforce training, professional education and certification, and continuing education and enrichment opportunities.
# # #