New this fall at Macomb Community College
– Wednesday, August 14, 2013 1:00AM
- Revamped entrepreneurship program with two different tracks: One path is for those who want to own or work in a business that emphasizes continual innovation, and a second that is tailored for students who plan to start a small business. A certificate and an associate degree are available for both tracks.
- New certificate in database programming: Prepares information technology students for entry-level positions as programmers.
- Intro to Mobile Development: A new mobile software development class that focuses on building applications for the Android operating system.
- Electric vehicle development technology certificate: Piloted last year, this new certificate prepares individuals for careers in the automotive sector, including development technician, electrical test technician and manufacturing technician, as well as in the communications, solar, wind turbine and smart grid industries. The certificate can be applied toward an associate of applied science degree in manufacturing technolgoy at Macomb, and the associate degree transfers toward a bachelor of science degree at Wayne State University
- 240 juniors from 28 Macomb County high schools are starting Macomb Early College: These new students are joining 260 others who are in their second and third year of the program. Sponsored by the Macomb Intermediate School District and participating Macomb County school districts, the program provides the opportunity for students to follow an integrated sequence of high school and college courses through a “13th year.” In addition to earning their high school diploma, students will have completed 62 to 72 college credits, qualifying them for a skill certificate and/or an associate degree.
- Design Your Future & Development Academy: New option offered through Early College of Macomb that provides the opportunity to earn a high school diploma and 65+ college credits that can be applied directly to an associate of science degree in product development technology.
- Northern Michigan University joins the Macomb University Center: Offering a bachelor- degree completion program in loss prevention management, Northern joins 10 other partners at the college’s University Center, which provides more than 4,000 students the opportunity to pursue advanced degrees at college’s Center Campus in Clinton Township.
About Macomb Community College
Macomb Community College (www.macomb.edu) is one of the nation’s leading communitycolleges, providing learning experiences to nearly 48,000 students annually. Macomb nationally ranks in the top two percent in the number of associate degrees awarded by community colleges and as the largest grantor of associate degrees in Michigan. The college’s comprehensive educational programming includes pre-collegiate experiences, university transfer and career preparation programs, bachelor degree completion and graduate degree programs, workforce training, professional education and certification, and continuing education and enrichment opportunities.
Media Contact: Tish Wirth, 586.445.7560, firstname.lastname@example.org